Some days don't go as planned. I had Thai Peanut Chicken on the menu, but after working in the yard all afternoon, I knew that I needed something that would require little effort. I threw this together, and it turned out great. Cook rice while the chicken is in the oven. It would be great with a side of snow peas.
Hot Coconut Chicken
Moist and tender, the chicken is braised in a spicy mix that hints of Asian flavors. No one will guess that it was fast and easy to prepare.
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper the chicken and place in a large bowl.
- Mix the coconut milk with the bell pepper, scallions, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and cilantro.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Place the chicken and the marinade in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for one hour, or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Uncover chicken and turn the oven up to 375 degrees and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice to soak up the wonderful sauce that develops.
Prep Time: 0 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 20 mins.