Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Favorite Potato Soup Recipe

My favorite vegetarian cookbook is Recipes for a Small Planet by Ellen Buchman Ewald.  I have gone through multiple copies of this cookbook, and it will always be on my bookshelf.  It is now out of print, so keep your eye out for used copies.  

One of my favorite recipes in this cookbook is this recipe for potato soup, Luscious Potato Soup.  It is an inexpensive and filling meal with a good whole-grain bread on the side.

Small Planet Potato Soup




Ingredients 
1/4 cup Oil
2 cups Onion ; chopped
1 cup Carrots ; diced
1 cup Celery ; chopped
6 medium Potatoes ; diced
1 quart Stock
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Marjoram
1 teaspoon Dill Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Caraway Seed
1 1/2 cups Milk Powder ; (2 cups instant)

Instructions
1. Saute the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes in oil until the onions are transparent.

2.  Add the stock, salt and spices bring to a boil and cover.  Cook for 20 minutes in a pressure cooker, or simmer in a large pot for 1 hour until the potatoes are tender.




3.  Dissolve the milk powder in a couple of cups of the soup liquid.  I use a wisk to make sure I don't have any lumps.  Pour the milk mixture into the pot and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good! I'll have to try it. My go-to potato soup is potatoes diced in boiling water, slowly add milk after turning heat down. Add butter, salt and pepper, nutmeg and corn.cook on low-med. until potatoes break down some. Or use the immersion blender. It's usually ready on Sunday by the time Bible study is over!

    ReplyDelete