Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Taste Test





I have always make pumpkin pie from canned pumpkin.  This year I had fresh cooked pumpkin, so I decided to do a taste test.  I made the exact same recipe using canned pumpkin and fresh pumpkin, and did a side by side comparison.  First, I have to confess that I was using a new recipe, and I wasn't wild about the results with either version.  I think I am going to go back to the recipe on the Libby's can yet another year.

The Results
The pumpkin pie made from the fresh pumpkin had a much stronger pumpkin taste, although it did not taste cooked.  The pumpkin had been pre-roasted in the oven, so it was definitely pre-cooked.  I guess I have so many years of canned pumpkin under my belt, that it tasted off to me.  The texture was the same in both pies.  I definitely preferred the canned pumpkin pie!  Next year I hope to grow my own pumpkins, so there may be a difference depending on the variety of pumpkin.  Just the excuse I need to make more pumpkin pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment